Thursday, November 6, 2008

Started Lysodren

We started Lysodren yesterday. I wore gloves to cut the pill, as I have to give Hunter 1 ¼ pills. I felt a little numb under my nose and I later got a tiny headache. I'm not sure if it was from the Lysodren or not, so this morning, I wore a mask and went outside to cut the pills.

To get Hunter to eat, I always scramble some eggs and keep them in the refrigerator for a few days and mix the eggs with his food. I add about 1 ½ tablespoons to his food. I've read on other sites where owners have problems getting their dog's to eat. If you decide to do this, be sure you don't add any seasoning or butter/oil when cooking the eggs.

I placed half of his food in his bowl and then gave him his pills. I used to give Hunter the pill pockets, but had to stop because they contain corn syrup. So, we went back to cheese. Just mold the cheese around the pill (still wearing gloves). I had a package of disposable gloves, I turn them inside out when taking off and throw away.

He tolerated the pill well, as it can possibly make them throw-up. However, about 6 to 7 hours later, he got up and was walking very wobbly. On the pill bottle it says this is a side-effect, but that’s an effect for humans. I called the doctor to make sure. He wasn’t sure it was caused by the Lysodren or not. I also told him that Hunter has a cold. He has all these other problems and for him to catch a cold just wasn’t needed. So, the doctor said to give him half a pill in the morning and ¾ of pill at night. So far this morning, we’re doing ok.

The doctor told me that the one problem that may occur is when he’s been on these pills for about five days, his sugar levels may drop suddenly. Hunter is taking 21 units of insulin at this time, which to me is a lot. We will most likely have to adjust his insulin to a lower amount. Just in case his blood sugar goes too low, I have corn syrup ready.

Vivian took pictures of Hunter the other day and I’ve posted them. I don’t know if you can tell from the side view, but even though Hunter has lost a lot of weight, he still has an extended tummy, which is supposed to be typical of a dog with uncontrolled Cushing’s. You can also see the damage that was done to his coat from one flea.

Vivian also took a picture of his face. It’s easy to see how severe his cataracts are. You can’t tell from the picture, but the cataracts look like crystals. While she was taking his picture and using the flash, he appeared to detect the flash a little. Usually Hunter would bark and jump when he would see the camera flash. It’s bitter sweet that he doesn’t do that anymore, just like he doesn’t play with his stuffed animals anymore.